Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, August 8, 2023

White Bird by R.J. Palacio with Erica S. Perl

How I Heard About It:
*This novel has been sitting in my TBR pile since 2022.  I'm not really sure why I didn't grab and read, but it kept getting put lower in the pile for other more recent titles.  This summer, I had time to get through some books that have been waiting patiently to be read.  I had read the graphic novel version when it was released so I was curious to see how the novel adaptation compared.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*This story came from the original novel Wonder.  The plot focuses on the character Julian and his grandmother Sara.

*As we know from Wonder, Julian hasn't always been kind to others.  While speaking to his grandmother, he learns of her childhood during the Nazi invasion.

*Sara and her family are Jewish and living in France.

*One day during school, the soldiers appear to gather up all the Jewish students.  Sara is able to escape, hide and be rescued by another student in her class.

*He hides Sara in the family barn, and the two of them form a special friendship during an incredible difficult time for Jewish citizens.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*It had been quite some time since I had read the graphic novel version so I didn't remember all the details of the story.

*As difficult as the subject matter was, I found this story to be enjoyable and engaging.  

*I loved the friendship between Sara and the boy who rescued her and how the kindness between the two of them helped Sara's grandson in his own life.

*The family that hid Sara were some of the most wonderful characters I've read about.  

*The writing was incredible with a strong plot and thoughtful characters.  


Who Should Read It:
*Readers who have read Wonder, and who hasn't, will definitely want to put this title on their TBR list.  Not only will the young reader enjoy the story, but they will learn quite a bit about what it was like to be a young Jewish child during the Nazi invasion.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment