Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Something Like Home by Andrea Beatriz Arango

How I Heard About It:
*So thankful when @randomhousekids sends me ARC's of some of their upcoming middle-grade titles.  I started this novel in verse this afternoon and finished the same evening.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Laura isn't sure she made the right decision when she called 911 on her own parents, but she wasn't sure what else to do.

*The "call" puts Laura in her aunt's care and she isn't sure why since they don't really know each other.

*Once in her aunt's care, Laura's main goal is to be reunited with her mom and dad.  

*When a stray dog finds his way into Laura's heart, she thinks this might be the answer to her prayers.  

*Learning to lean on an adult, a few friend, and a four-legged creature; Laura must also lean on herself to find the answers in her heart.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I use to post that I wasn't a fan of novels in verse, but I'm finding I'm loving them more and more.  Maybe it is because of such incredible stories as this one. 

*I was hooked from the moment I started.  

*The more I read the more my heart was opened and I cared so much for Laura's story and her outcome.  

*I appreciate that the author didn't shy away from a difficult subject matter and handled the situation while being authentic and true to life.

*The relationships developed throughout the story are what tied and held the story together.  Everyone needs a Benson in their life!


Who Should Read It:
*Individual readers in grades four, five, and six will love and devour the novel.  Middle-school readers would also relate and connect with Laura's story.  I'm planning on using the book as one of my class read alouds for the 2023/24 school year.  I know so many rich discussions will stem from the story.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   5 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment