Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, August 6, 2023

Such Kindness by Andre Dubus III

How I Heard About It:
*Years ago I read the novel The House of Sand and Fog by Andre Dubus III and could not stop reading the story once I began.  It was a page-turner.  Earlier this spring (2023) I saw some book reviews of Dubus' newest work of fiction.  I downloaded the novel and read the story via my Kindle.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Tom Lowe had it all: a wife, a son, his own construction company.

*Until he didn't.  

*After a fall on the construction site, Tom becomes addicted to pain killers.  

*He loses everything that means the most to him.

*While living alone in "low-cost" housing, Tom does everything in his power to make his way back to the people that mean the most to him.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*Because I enjoyed The House of Sand and Fog so much, I was looking forward to reading this new story.

*The introduction to the novel was strong and I was thinking it was going to be another wonderful read.

*As I continued through the story, I found myself a bit bored and not invested in Tom's journey.

*The plot moved slow and seemed a bit repetitive after awhile.  

*I know the author was portraying people dealing with a lot in their lives, but the focus on negative events and sad people; got to me after awhile.


Who Should Read It:
*If you have read any of Andre's previous works, I would imagine you would enjoy his latest work of fiction.  The story may not have been "ideal" for me, I know the book has gotten many high ratings.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   3 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment