Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Ferris by Kate DiCamillo

How I Heard About It
*You would have to be living under a rock to not know when Kate DiCamillo has written and published a new novel.  I had this book pre-ordered so I would receive it on publication day of March 5, 2024.  When the package arrived it was an electric toothbrush.  What?  Fast forward to March 8th in Tucson, Arizona where I happened to be staying at the same hotel as Kate for the Tucson Festival of Books.  I had the chance to share my "Ferris" mail story and Kate got a chuckle out of it.  I almost bought a copy of the novel while at the festival, but knew my replacement copy was waiting for me at home.  




What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*Ferris is a young girl who ends up with quite the "perm".

*Her younger sister is Pinky and ends up in jail for attempting to rob the local bank.

*Ferris' uncle ends up living in their basement to create a painting of the "WORLD".

*There is a chandelier above the family dining table that has never been lit.

*Charisse, Ferris' grandmother, lives in Ferris' house and has shared with Ferris a ghost has appeared in her room with a most special request.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I absolutely adored this story!

*Kate did not waste a single word and all the words she put to the page were perfect.  

*As I was reading, I often found I had tears in my eyes and wasn't sure where they had come from.  

*Being a huge fan of Kate, I have come to know and love her characters, but Ferris will now have a special place in my heart.  

*The cast of characters were strong, unique, and quite special.  It is hard to pick just one favorite, but for me it just might be Ferris' teacher.


Who Should Read It:
*EVERYONE!  This is a story for young, in-between, and older readers.  I can't wait to share the novel with my fourth grade class this spring.  This book is sure to become another Kate DiCamillo classic.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
  5+ STARS out of 5 Stars







No comments:

Post a Comment