Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, March 19, 2024

True Colors by Abby Cooper

How I Heard About It:
*I'm fortunate to not only know Abby Cooper, but have had her to my classroom on several occasions to chat with my readers about her previous stories.  Her newest and fourth novel will be released on May 7, 2024.  I downloaded an E-Galley via NetGalley so I could get a sneak peak at the upcoming novel.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*The reader is taken on a magical realism journey to the town of Serenity, Minnesota.  Both Abby and I live in Minnesota.

*In order to live in Serenity, residents must sign a "document" stating they will remain friendly, kind, and always display positive emotions.

*Mackenzie, the main character, has a raw gift in which her emotions show up as particular hazes of color surrounding her aura.

*Life is going well for Mackenzie, and those around her, until a film maker gets permission to enter Serenity to feature a story on not only the town, but those that live there.

*As time passes, MacKenzie finds herself having a harder and harder time containing her emotions and abiding by the rules of Serenity.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I have come to know and love Abby's signature style.  Her fourth novel does not disappoint.  

*As a reader, it was fun to read about the fictional town set in Minnesota.  I also enjoyed the character names because several of them were based on people both Abby and I know.

*There just might also be a teacher mentioned in the story who goes by "Mr. Andrus".

*One of the many strong aspects of Abby's stories are the life-lessons she explores throughout the pages.  I love a good middle-grade novel that also teaches a lesson.  

*I found myself asking questions as I read the story and after I finished.  Abby Cooper has given the reader a lot to think about with this magical realism tale.


Who Should Read It:
*I so appreciate that Abby has written, and is writing, stories that are accessible to many readers.  Her content is appropriate for younger readers while the characters and lessons reaches the upper elementary and middle-school reader.  I look forward to sharing the book with my fourth grader readers during the 2024/2025 school year.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
  4 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment