Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, March 22, 2024

The Connellys of County Down by Tracey Lange

How I Came Across It... It felt meant to be encountering this novel. Initially introduced to the title through social media, a trusted book enthusiast I follow gave it five stars. The very next day, fate seemed to smile upon me as I stumbled upon an ARC left in the teacher's lounge, which I promptly claimed for my spring break reading in 2024.

What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know...
*In their youth, the Connelly siblings were the protagonists of a cherished "fairy tale" told by their late mother, with them as the central characters. *With their mother's passing and all three siblings leading separate adult lives, the roles assigned to them in childhood are now tested in reality.

*Tara's recent release from prison marks a fresh start, reintegrating into the lives of her siblings. *Geraldine, juggling responsibilities both professionally and domestically, finds Tara's return threatens to disrupt the delicate balance she's worked hard to maintain. *Eddie, the peacemaker, bears the weight of ensuring everyone's happiness, a burden that may prove overwhelming for one individual.

What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections...
*Initially, the book didn't captivate me immediately upon picking it up.

*However, upon revisiting it during my vacation in Mexico, I found myself thoroughly engaged upon a second reading. *I became engrossed in the characters of Tara, Eddie, and Geraldine, fascinated by how their childhood roles manifested in their adult lives. *While some elements of the story may stretch believability, I found myself willingly suspending disbelief to immerse in the narrative and its characters. *The author adeptly portrayed the complexities of the main characters, flaws and all, offering a nuanced exploration of their identities.

Who Should Read It...
This marks the author's second novel after "We Are the Brennans," which I haven't read. Nevertheless, I believe this story will resonate with adult readers who appreciate narratives centered on family dynamics, sibling relationships, personal struggles, and self-discovery. Happy reading!


Rating...
4 STARS out of 5 Stars






No comments:

Post a Comment