Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, March 19, 2024

The Berry Pickers by Amanda Peters

How I Heard About It
*If you follow the blog, you know I've been a member of the BBC (Boy's Book Club) since the year 2000.  This book club consisted of a small group of male teachers in our building.  We have ranged anywhere from six to two members.  As we have gotten smaller, it was time to "open" up our book club and create an all-staff group of readers.  I sent out the invite at the start of 2024 and about twenty-two readers joined me in reading Lonesome Dove.  For our second book club selection, we chose The Berry Pickers.  This is a debut novel and has received much praise from a variety of different sources and readers.



What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*The story begins in the summer of 1962 when a Nova Scotia Mi'kmaq family travels south to Maine for the "picking season".

*While there, four-year-old Ruthie goes missing and the indigenous family receives no help from the local authorities in Maine.

*Much to their discomfort, frustration, and grief, they return to Nova Scotia with the hope Ruthie will be located. 

*Ruthie's older brother Joe blames himself for the disappearance which effects his moving forward and all of his relationships.  

*The family moves forward best they can amidst other tragedies, loss, and pain; with the hope of Ruthie's return always in the back of their minds and hearts.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*After creating the new book club and mixed responses to our first all-read, I was nervous going into the second book club selection.  There was no need for the nerves.

*As I mentioned, this is a debut author and she knocked it out of the park with the story.  I was hooked from start to finish.

*The story is told from two perspectives and I enjoyed the format.  I did find myself drawn to one of the character's experiences over the other, but it didn't detract from the overall experience.

*There were many emotional passages throughout the novel and I found myself with tears in my eyes.  To me that is a sign of STRONG writing.

*The writing was beautiful which created a space to slow down and enjoy the words.  The plot was well crafted which had me wanting to read faster to reveal the conclusion.  Put those two elements together and you have a tremendous novel to enjoy!  


Who Should Read It:
*I have been recommending the book to anyone I talk to about what we are and should be reading.  The book club readers that I have had discussions with all agree this was a sold story with an emotional punch.  I look forward to our book club gathering at the beginning of April.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
  5 STARS out of 5 Stars








No comments:

Post a Comment