Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, February 8, 2014

The Rain Dragon Rescue by Suzanne Selfors...

How I Heard About It:  It was last year that I first heard about The Sasquatch Escape by Suzanne Selfors.  Donalyn Miller had read it to her fourth graders and talked about how much they enjoyed it.  I read the book over the summer and decided to choose it for my first "Breakfast with Books" book club selection for this school year.  The book was a success and many of my readers read the second book as well.  We were lucky enough to Skype with Suzanne about book number one and two.  I was thrilled to purchase book number three and add it to my classroom collection.

What It Is About:  The adventures of Ben and Pearl continue in this next installment of The Imaginary Veterinary.  There is a creature stealing "metal" from many of the residents of Buttonville and the residents are getting upset.  When Ben and Petal find out it is a real-live dragon that is the thief, it is time for them to go back to work and figure out a solution.  Once they arrive at the Worm Factory for their next day as apprentices, they find out that Dr. Woo and Mr. Tabby aren't available to help, they take things into their own hands.  They actually get to travel to the Imaginary World to rescue the Rain Dragon that has been harmed.  While Ben is quite afraid of this journey, Petal couldn't be more happy.  All good things must come to an end and when Dr. Woo finds out the kids have broken more rules, she isn't too pleased.  

What I Thought Of It:  This current school year has been great because of all the wonderful series I have read.  This is one of them!  I think this is the perfect series for children in grades three and four.  It isn't too long (this book was at 187 pages), there are pictures scattered throughout the book, and the action is never ending.  As I read this edition, I enjoyed each and every page and continue to love the "Hijinks" that Ben and Petal find themselves in.  The plot is fast-paced, the characters are interesting, and the creativity is never ending.  I'm looking forward to reading the fourth book called The Order of the Unicorn when it comes out in July.  

Who Should Read It:  It is in my opinion that every third and fourth grade classroom should have this series in their classroom.  As I mentioned earlier, this is the perfect series for this age group.  I agree with Donalyn Miller that any of these books would make for an excellent read aloud.  Even as an adult reader I have enjoyed all three books very much and will continue to read the new ones as they come out.  Happy Reading...

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment