Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, December 26, 2018

After the Fire by Will Hill

How I Heard About It:   While browsing for new books earlier this fall, I came across this title.  I was drawn in by the cover and the title.  After a bit of review reading, I ordered the novel.  



What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  

1.  *Moonbeam has spent most of her life "behind" a fence.  

2.  *After a major fire at the compound, she and several other minors are the only survivors.  They are brought to an "outside" hospital to heal both physically and emotionally.  


3.  *While Moonbeam remains at the hospital receiving treatment from a psychologist, she begins to process her time at the "compound" and share her story with him.  

4.  *Her life at the compound was ruled under the thumb of "Father John".  He created a community that was composed of rules and consequences.  

5.  *Moonbeam must reconcile her life "behind" her and the life she is trying to move toward.  



What I Thought Of It:  This was a long story with a lot of "stuff" on each and every page.  To be honest, there were sections I was completely engaged in and drawn to; while other parts didn't necessarily do that.  It was fascinating to read about life at the "compound".  The author did a wonderful job of describing what it must have been like for the residents.  I could understand how members can be conflicted between what they are being told and what they know to be true in their heart.  Overall, I thought it was a great read.  



Who Should Read It:   I know the novel is targeted for the young-adult audience, but I could also see it being read by the adult reader.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   3.5 STARS out of 5 Stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment