Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, December 16, 2018

An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green

How I Heard About It:   While browsing my Audible app, I came across this title.  I remembered reading positive reviews about the story.  I thought the cover and title were amazing and hoped for an equally "remarkable" story.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  

1.  *While April May is wandering the streets of New York during the middle of the night, she stumbles across a giant sculpture like nothing else she has seen.  After contacting a friend, they create a video and post it to YouTube.

2.  *Once the video is posted, it goes viral and everyone in the country knows April May and her friend.  It turns out the sculpture is not only in New York, but all over the world.  

3.  *Overnight, April becomes a YouTube sensation and the world wants to know about her, her reaction to the "Carl" sculptures, and her interaction with others via social media.  

4.  *At first April loves and enjoys all the new media attention.  As the next few days progress, she realizes these "Carls" are more than they appear to be.  She and the rest of the world could be in danger.  

5.  *She must learn to navigate the newly found fame, her interactions with not only her government, but other "worldly" leaders that may and may not be here in Earth for "good".  



What I Thought Of It:  At first when I downloaded the book, I thought it was going to be a young-adult story.  As I listened, it became apparent it was a novel published for adults.  Although I do think some young-adults would enjoy the story.  I enjoyed the start of the story.  The plot lost me a bit during the beginning of the middle, but then I was drawn back into the book.  I was captivated by the events and found myself sitting in my car listening more and more.  The plot was unique, truly it own, and had many complex and complicated plot lines.  The characters were strong, independent, and real.  I would love to find another person that has read the book because I certainly do have some questions about what did and didn't happen throughout the story.  



Who Should Read It:   I'm thinking this is mostly a novel published for adults, but I'm sure it could work with a high-school and/or college reader.  It is part realistic fiction, part mystery, and part fantasy.  Readers who enjoy those aspects of a story will surely find this a satisfying read.  Happy Reading!  



Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars!






No comments:

Post a Comment