Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, December 8, 2018

Darius the Great Is Not Okay by Adib Khorram

How I Heard About It:   After finishing my last audio book, I ventured into the world of Audible to find a new "listen".  When I saw the cover, I remember reading positive reviews about the story.  After a bit of research, I decided to purchase the book.  



What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  

1.  *Darius is a high school student living in the United States.  He struggles with his identity because he is half Persian and half American.  



2.  *Darius has also struggled with depression and is currently taking medication to "stabilize" his emotions.  His father has also dealt with depression.  The two of them have a strained relationship.

3.  *When Darius' grandfather becomes seriously ill, his family must travel to Iran.  Darius has reservations about the trip.  

4.  *Upon arrival, Darius struggles to connect with his grandparents, his own parents, and the culture of Iran.  

5.  *When Darius meets Sohrab, a Iranian neighbor boy, he begins to feel differently not only about himself, but his family, life, and outlook on life.  



What I Thought Of It:  Darius' story was a story that many young people will be able to relate to.  It seems many young-adult novels about depression are geared toward female characters.  I appreciated that Darius was the central character dealing with real-life emotional/social/mental issues.  While reading, I found it fascinating to read about life in Iran and how experiences differed from American customs.  Being a father myself, I was intrigued by the dynamics between Darius and his father.  Depression is such an important theme and I think Abid Khorram wrote about the topic with grace, dignity, and personal insight.  



Who Should Read It:   Sometimes I think there aren't enough young-adult novels for male readers.  This is a novel that much be shared with any high-school and/or college male that you may know.  Whether or not they are dealing with depression issues themselves, they will take so much from the story of Darius, his family, and their experiences.  The novel will also appeal to adult readers.  Happy Reading!  



Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars!







No comments:

Post a Comment