Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, December 30, 2018

The Prophet Calls by Melanie Sumrow

How I Heard About It:   This book came to me via my #bookexpedition reading group.  I was excited to get it because I had read some positive reviews about the story from some trusted reading friends.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  

1.  *Gentry lives in the "compound" under the rule of the Prophet.  Even thought the Prophet is living behind bars, he is still in charge of what goes on inside the compound.  

2.  *Gentry and her brother have a love of music.  They are both quite talented with the violin.  The two of them sneak out of their protected world to play in the Santa Fe musical festival.  When they are caught, life becomes difficult back at the compound.  

3.  *The Prophet begins to exercise more and more power and control over the families living under his rule.  Gentry once believed everything he said and did, but now begins to question his power.  

4.  *When her brother is forced to leave their community, Gentry begins to ask more and more questions about the life they are living.  

5.  *She and some family members are sent to another "compound" and it is here that Gentry must decide between the "rules" of the family or living the life she is known she is destined for.  


What I Thought Of It:  This is my second novel I've read recently about a polygamous community.  The first one was for the young-adult reader and this one is geared toward the middle-grade reader.  While I find this life-style fascinating, I'm not sure the young reader would understand all that is involved in living this way.  Gentry was a phenomenal character who was multifaceted.  The author did a wonderful job of describing the conflict she had between the tradition of her community and wanting to live in the real world.  There was a lot of suspense throughout the story which made for an interesting read.  Overall, I'm glad I read it, but not sure I enjoyed it as much as some of my other reader friends.  


Who Should Read It:   Amazon states that the novel is geared toward readers in grades four through nine.  Because of the content of multiple wives and many children being born to these women, I personally would put the book in the hands of a sixth grade reader or above.  The perfect audience would be a middle-school reader.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   3 STARS out of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment