Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, December 6, 2020

The Blackbird Girls by Anne Blankman

How I Heard About It:
*This was one of the middle-grade novels I read for the Charlotte Huck Book Awards Committee I was serving on.  This was my last year.  The last three years have provided me with some of the best reading I've done in my life. 


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*The first story told within the pages is about Valentina and Oksana who are classmates, but don't like each other.  The year is 1986.

*The second story is about Rifka back in 1941.  


*After Chernobyl, Valentina and Oksana must flee their village.  

*Rifka also had to flee her home because of the Nazi's.  

*All three girls must face danger, challenges, and obstacles they never imagined having to deal with.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I listened via Audible and the narration was quite beautiful.  

*As the story unfolded, I became more and more intrigued about the two girls in 1986 and how they related to the plot in 1941.

*The events of both 1986 and 1941 were told with grace, dignity, and authenticity.  

*I remember Chernobyl as a high school student, but I learned so much more while reading the book.

*The novel is a strong historical fiction novel that should be included in all classroom libraries.  


Who Should Read It:
*I would recommend the story for readers in grade five and six.  Of course readers in middle-school will also enjoy the story about the three girls and their journey in the world.  If you are an adult who enjoys middle-grade historical fiction, this is the story for you.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:  STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment