Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, December 23, 2020

The House That Wasn't There by Elana K. Arnold

How I Heard About It:
*This title came to me during my virtual visit to #NCTE.  While visiting the publisher booth of Walden Pond Press, I was able to download an E-Galley of this upcoming middle-grade novel.  I was excited to read as I had seen a few online friends commenting on how much they enjoyed the story.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Alder is a young boy living with his mother in a small Californian home.

*Oak is a young girl who has just moved into her small Californian home.  


*Alder and Oak couldn't be much different, but after time realize they may have more in common than they ever imagined.  

*Alder has always been somewhat of a loner at school.  Oak is the new girl who would love to "fit in" with the other kids.

*After a large walnut tree between their homes is cut down, and two cats come into their lives, Oak and Alder bond over the differences and similarities between them.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*Oh my gosh, how I loved this story.  

*I can't explain how different, fresh, and unique this middle-grade story is.  Such a treat to read!

*Alder and Oak are two amazing, thoughtful, and special characters.  With each page, I came to love them more and more.

*The story contains some realistic fiction, a bit of fantasy, and a dash of mystery.  Everything this reader loves and enjoys in a middle-grade novel.

*There are portions of the plot that will definitely get readers thinking, discussing, and asking lots of questions.


Who Should Read It:
*I would most definitely put the book in all fourth, fifth, and sixth grade classroom libraries.  The middle-school reader would also be ideal for the unfolding mystery of Alder and Oak.  In my opinion, the story could be used for a class read aloud and/or to give to an individual student.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
  
STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment