Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, August 15, 2014

Friend Friday #55...

Hi!  I’m Vic and I just finished reading the book called Natchez Burning written by Greg Iles.

This book was a glimpse into the tragic past of the Deep South that many Americas tried to hide and forget.  Although fiction, this book opens the eye of the reader to a tragic time in the south;  through detailed writing, in-depth characters and suspense on every page. The reader has no choice but to continue this journey to the bitter end.

My favorite part of Natchez Burning was the way the author took you through historical events of a small town in Mississippi.

The character that I liked best was Henry Sexton.  Even though Henry isn’t the main character, he brings life to the story through his determination and dedication to solve a 40-year-old crime. 

I think the author wrote this book because he wanted to create a historical fiction story based on real-life events that occurred in our country during the late 1960's.  He also wanted to write a suspenseful novel that would take the reader on a wild ride.  

I would recommend this book to anyone who has a passion for American historical events, craves suspense, and is willing to give up their sleep, because this book is truly hard to put down once you crack the cover.

Reading to me is both a social and solitary activity.  I love spending time reading books on my own because it is relaxing, enjoyable, and satisfying.  I also like the social aspect of my book club because it is rewarding to discuss books and stories with other avid readers.  


*Vic is a member of my BBC (Boy's Book Club).
*We started the BBC back in 2000 with a group of men who taught together.
*Over the years we have read some amazing books and had great discussions about these books.
*Vic is one of the most avid readers I know.  Once he starts a great book he just can't stop until the very last page.
*Even though this novel is at about 800 pages, he finished within a week.  
*I'm in the process of reading it and can't wait to get to the end.
*This is a must-read for all adult-readers!  


No comments:

Post a Comment