Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, November 27, 2014

Butter by Erin Jade Lange...

How I Heard About It:  There was a post on the Nerdy Book Club site from a high school teacher.  I'm sorry, I can't remember who.  Also, too lazy at the moment to find the post on the site.  The blog was about her students favorite novels to read.  This one was at the top of the list.  I ordered it online and was excited to give it a try.  

What It Is About:  "Butter" is a high school kid that is extremely overweight.  He got the nickname Butter earlier in his schooling from the other kids based on an incident with him and food.  Butter spends most of his time alone, both at home and at school.  His mother hovers over him and tries to meet his "needs" by giving him food.  His father has become frustrated with his son's weight and mostly ignores him.  Butter enjoys playing the saxophone, but mostly plays on his own in his bedroom.  There is a teacher at school that tries to take him under his wings and help him with his musical talent, but Butter isn't sure that is what he wants.  As Butter watches the kids around him, the idea of eating himself to death online comes to him.  He creates a website to promote this "event" that will take place on New Year's Eve.  As the other high school kids become aware of what Butter is up to, they take him under their wing and bring in him into their circle.  The days go by and Butter becomes more and more "popular" with the kids, but is it worth the price of his life.  This is what he must ultimately decide.

What I Thought Of It:  This novel was outstanding.  The subject matter is quite series.  I read the entire book last Sunday and I have thought of Butter and his story many times since then.  I can see why high school kids love this book so much.  Butter is an incredible character and one that I really came to root for and hope the best for.  There were times when I wasn't sure everything was completely realistic, but since it is a novel, I didn't let this get in the way.  Of course the mystery of whether Butter would actually go through with it was the driving force of turning page after page.  I can see why the blogger from the Nerdy Book Club said this was the number one novel that her students love to read.  The novel was so satisfying as a fiction read.

Who Should Read It:  This is definitely a novel that needs to be in all high school classrooms.  I know that high school readers and college readers would enjoy the story as much as I did.  This is also a book that adult readers should read.  It is well written, great character development, and a plot that doesn't stop.  Happy Reading!!!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment