Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Nuts to You by Lynne Rae Perkins..

How I Heard About It:  While browsing for books last week I saw this book on the shelf and it sparked my curiosity.  I read a bit of the beginning and it hooked me right away so it went in the basket of books to be bought.  

What It Is About:  It is about squirrels of course.  A human meets a squirrel in the park and the squirrel tells her about his adventures in the forest.  There is a community of squirrels that live together.  One day one of the members of this community is out hunting for food and a hawk appears and grabs the squirrel.  A squirrel friend witnesses the whole thing.  While in flight with the hawk, the squirrel comes up with a way for the hawk to drop him.  He ends up in another squirrel community far from home.  He learns to live with this new group, while his old squirrel friends venture out on a quest to find their find.  While all of them are experiencing this new adventure, they learn that the "humans" are up to something and want to change their land.  It is up to them to let all the squirrels know what is going on and save them from the human destruction.

What I Thought Of It:  I love animal stories and this one did not disappoint.  The friendships and love that these squirrels had for each other was sweet and endearing.  The story moved along quickly with lots of action and suspense which I know will appeal to young readers.  I also enjoyed the elements of the different squirrel communities including accents and all.  This will definitely be a book that I share with my fourth graders.

Who Should Read It:  As I was reading this novel I keep thinking it would either make for a great book club selection or a perfect read aloud.  At this point, I'm still know exactly sure how I will use it with my students.  In my opinion it is the perfect book for readers in grades four through six.  A strong reader in third grade could also handle it.  If you (or a student) love animal stories, then this is the perfect novel.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars

*This novel is the third one she talks about.

No comments:

Post a Comment