Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Wake Up Missing by Kate Messner...

How I Heard About It:   I have enjoyed many of Kate Messner's book and while at a workshop this past summer I saw this title.  I added it to my stack and just finished reading it weekend.  

What It Is About:  Cat has received a concussion while doing one of her favorite things:  bird watching.  Because of the headaches and problems she is having, she ends up at an exclusive brain center in the Everglades of Florida.  When Cat gets to the center, she meets several other young people that have had concussions and other brain related issues.  While the kids are getting to know each other and begin their "treatments", they realize that not everything at the clinic is as it should be.  While chatting with one of the patients, they learn that he thinks he is a famous scientist and is going to "contribute" to the present-day world.  Now Cat knows something is very wrong.  As she and her new friends begin to investigate what is going on at the clinic, they are led on a very dangerous mission that could endanger their lives.  They must escape to safety and let the world know what is going on at the clinic.

What I Thought Of It:  I was quite surprised how different this book was from the other Messner books that I have read.  I had not read any of her science fiction type stories.  I enjoyed the book, the plot, and the very courageous characters.  The story line moved along quickly and left me wanting to know what was going to happen next.  It was also interesting to read about scientists wanting to use "old" DNA to create "new" DNA in other people.  A story with "evil" scientist type characters is always a fun read.  I must say this book kept me on the edge of my seat, holding my breath, and cheering for the kids to find answers and safety.  

Who Should Read It:  This would be the perfect book for any reader in grades four, five, and six that enjoys a great adventure story, lots of action, and some science fiction elements along with way.  I'm also thinking this could make for an excellent read aloud because each chapter ends with a cliff hanger.  If you are an adult reader that is a fan of Kate Messner, then you need to read this book.

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment