Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, November 30, 2014

The Graham Cracker Plot by Shelley Tougas...

How I Heard About It:  Erin Soderberg was a guest author at my "Breakfast with Books" on November 21st.  Our book club was discussing her book The Quirks:  Welcome to Normal.  As you do with any other reader, you talk about books you are currently reading.  Erin mentioned this title to me.  So of course when I saw it at the bookstore I bought it.  I read it over the holiday weekend.  

What It Is About:  Daisy doesn't have the easiest life.  Her dad is in prison for a crime he didn't commit according to Daisy.  Her mom has to work all the time and isn't around much.  Daisy and her grandmother visit her dad as often as they can.  During one visit, she breaks some of the "rules" and is banned from coming back to the "Club Fed".  Daisy and her friend Graham come up with a plan to break her dad out of prison and bring him to Canada.  The two kids plan and plan and decide to call it "The Graham Cracker Plot."  They enlist an older female friend because they realize they need wheels for this plan to work.  Once the plan is set in motion, things don't go the way they were suppose to and trouble ensues.  Through all the set-backs and problems, Daisy and Graham keep their goal in sight and continue their way toward "Club Fed" to rescue her father.

What I Thought Of It:  The book is told in a series of letters from Daisy to a Judge that is in charge of deciding what should happen to both Daisy and Graham.  In these letters she recounts all of the events that lead up to the "break-out".  I'm so glad that Erin told me about this novel, because there is nothing better than finding a new book that turns out to be absolutely wonderful.  I loved the characters of Daisy and Graham and thought their friendship was quite realistic.  Everything is not ideal for the cast of characters and to me this was realistic and refreshing to read about.  I think it is important for readers to read about all kinds of families and their "status" in life, which can include emotional and economic status.  The story includes lots of great life lessons and would provide for wonderful discussions.  

Who Should Read It:  As I was reading this book, I contacted the author (who happens to live about 30 minutes from me) to let her know how much I was enjoying the book.  When I finished it, I decided to use this novel as a future "Breakfast with Books" book club selection.  I know my fourth graders are going to enjoy the adventures of Daisy and Graham.  To me, this book is perfect for readers in grades four, five, and six.  It would make for an excellent read aloud or a book read by an individual.  Happy Reading!

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment