Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, February 5, 2017

Harmony by Carolyn Parkhurst

How I Heard About It:  Several months ago, or longer, I read about this novel in several different sources.  I added it to my TBR list.  During my last visit to the public library to pick up some audio books for my commute, I saw this one on the shelf and decided to stick with just this selection.  

What It Is About:  Alexandra is a mother with two amazing daughters; Tilly and Iris.  Tilly is her first born, extremely bright, but socially awkward.  Iris is her youngest child and sometimes gets pushed aside and forgotten because of all the attention that is needed for Tilly.  The older Tilly gets, the more social problems she develops.  Tilly's parents try everything, every school, and every resource, but nothing seems to help.  When Alexandra meets child "expert" Scott Bean, she believes she has found the answer.  Scott is known for his "behavioral"methods with children in crisis.  Alexandra and Scott begin an emotional relationship to work toward helping Tilly.  Alexandra decides the best thing for Tilly and her family is to attend Scott's camp called Harmony.  It is here that answers and cures are to be found for trouble families.  Once at the camp, Iris begins to learn that Scott and the happenings at the camp might not be what they appear to be.  

What I Thought Of It:  I'm not quite sure how to answer this.  I did give this 4 stars because overall I enjoyed listening to this story.  I didn't necessarily love it, but I didn't not love it.  The plot was good, the characters were good, and the writing was good.  I just didn't find myself thinking about the story when I wasn't listening to it.  I wasn't sitting in the car when I arrived somewhere to finish the chapter.  The development was a bit more slow, detailed, and written with care and grace.  The characters were developed well.  There were a few surprised along the way, but nothing that knocked my socks off.  I do think I probably enjoyed the audio version more than I would have the printed form.  

Who Should Read It:  If you have read other works by this author, I'm sure you will enjoy her latest work.  As I mentioned it is written extremely well and an interesting story.  This is definitely a novel for adults that tend to enjoy character driven stories from multiple perspectives.  Readers of children with social developments might also tend to gravitate toward the novel.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment