Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, May 30, 2019

Internment by Samira Ahmed

How I Heard About It:  You would have to be living under a rock to not have heard of this novel  I feel like I was late to the game in that I just finished this young-adult novel.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Layla is a high-school girl enjoying the school experience and her time with her boyfriend.  All of this changes overnight.  

2.  *The US government decides that all American Muslims must be "gathered" and brought to an internment camp.




3.  *Layla can't quite believe what is happening, but follows her parents to this "camp" where she finds a new and difficult life.  

4.  *Layla knows in her heart this isn't the place she or the other Muslims belong so she begins a "campaign" to set all of them free.

5.  *This plan involves her boyfriend on the "outside" and one of the guards on the "inside".  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *I couldn't decide if I wanted to read the novel or listen to it via Audible.  I decided on the second option and I'm glad I did.  The narration was wonderful and I felt like I was listening to a play.  

2.  *Samira Ahmed's writing was incredible with such vivid descriptions and intriguing detail.

3.  *The character was Layla was one that I know will stick with me for quite some time.  She was strong, fierce, and independent.  I loved how she wasn't going to give up no matter what.  

4.  *As I listened, it was quite terrifying because some of the story is actually happening or definitely could happen right here in our country.  

5.  *This is an important novel for all readers to experience.  The message/theme is current, relevant  and one that needs to be addressed.  


Who Should Read It:   This story should be required reading for both the high-school and college aged readers.  I would also recommend it to all adult readers.  One of the best young-adult novels I've encountered.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   5 STARS out of 5 Stars!





No comments:

Post a Comment