How I Heard About It: This novel came to me via the publisher. I knew nothing of the story so I was excited to dig in and see who and what the Star Shepherd was all about.
What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1. *Kyro is an eleven-year-old boy who lives with his father and his dog.
2. *His father is a "star shepherd" in the village of Drenn. He has spent years rescuing stars when they fall to Earth. He repairs and returns them to the night sky.
3. *There is usually one to two stars that fall. Kyro and his father begin to notice that more and more stars are falling. They aren't quite sure why this is happening, but Kyro's father is determined to find out why.
4. *His father heads out on a journey to report this "happening" leaving Kyro to fend for himself.
5. *When his father doesn't return, Kyro and his only friend Andra, venture out into the "world" to find out what happened to his father and why the stars are crashing down to Earth.
What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1. *If you follow this blog, you know I'm not the biggest fan of fantasy. I will say I went into the story with an open mind.
2. *I enjoyed the beginning of the story. I was curious and fascinated by the life that Kyro and his father lived.
3. *Once more and more stars began to fall and Kyro's father "disappeared", I lost a bit of interest in the story.
4. *As Kyro and Andra ventured out and encountered more and more obstacles and adventures, I found myself a bit confused and not overly invested in the story. Toward the end I did some skimming and scanning.
Who Should Read It: I do think this book has a definite audience. I think if a middle-grade reader is interested in fantasy, mystery, and "stars"; then this would be the book for them. Readers in fourth, fifth, and sixth grade would be perfect. Happy Reading!
Rating: 3 STARS out of 5 Stars!