How I Heard About It: This novel came to me via the publisher. It wasn't at the top of my stack, but when some online reading friends, praised the story; I decided to move it to the top of my pile.
What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
1. *Mina is a young girl that is quiet and shy.
2. *Children in the community "bond" with a creature. Mina is surprised when her creature is born.
3. *Mina ends up with a creature called the "Lightning Beast". The creature's name is Pixit.
4. *Most of the community members think this pairing is a mistake, but Mina knows in her heart she and Pixit are meant to be together.
5. *Mina and Pixit enroll in "Lightning School" where she is suppose to master the art of taking care of a beast. It is here at school that she learns to use her voice and actions to help her community survive the evils that are trying to take over.
What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1. *I was hoping to enjoy the story. Especially since it was so highly recommended.
2. *Part of the reason I may not have been captured by the story is I'm not normally a fan of fantasy and mythical story lines. I'm more of a realistic fiction reader.
3. *There came a point when I became lost in the story line and was a bit confused by what was happening.
4. *I did enjoy the character of Mina and the journey she took. This journey transferred her into quite a strong and independent young woman.
5. *Even though I wasn't intrigued by the story; as I read I kept thinking how much young readers would enjoy the adventure that Mina and Pixit took.
Who Should Read It: The audience for this fantasy would most likely be readers in grades four, five, and/or six. Of course if you know of readers that enjoy fantasy, animals, and adventure; then is definitely the novel for them. Happy Reading!
Rating: 3 STARS out of 5 Stars!