Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, May 5, 2019

Mostly the Honest Truth by Jody Little

How I Heard About It:  The novel came to me via Harper publishing.  I was thrilled to receive it in the mail because I had heard such wondering reviews of the story.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Jane has spent her life living with her pop.  Well, she lives with him when he isn't at rehab.  

2.  *After an incident in their home, Jane is sent to a foster family in Three Boulders and her father is sent back to rehab.  



3.  *Not only does Jane receive a new foster "mother", who she calls Officer D, but a small community of family that are residing in Three Boulders.  

4. *One of these community members is a young girl named Gertie.  She wants to befriend Jane and teach her the ways of their small village.  

5.  *All the while Jane is adjusting to Three Boulders, her main goal is to survive the twelve days away from her Pop, keeping her secret to herself, and making sure she and her Pop make their way back to each other.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *The events in this story take place over twelve days while Jane and her father are separated.  As a reader, I enjoyed how the chapters and sections were set up.  

2.  *As soon as I began reading, I was drawn into Jane's world.  I could feel her pain, story, and experiences.  This is a tribute to the talent of the author's development to her main character.  

3.  *I was also fascinated by the community and residents of Three Boulders.  Reading about their way of life and what was important to them was both fascinating and intriguing.  

4.  *As I continued through the story, the past and secrets of Old Red were revealed and added greatly to the story of Jane and her own story.  

5.  *The story dealt with some important and major issues in real life and I think Jody Little was sensitive and authentic to these events.  


Who Should Read It:   Jane's story will resonant with many young readers.  I especially know it will be an important book for readers that have and/or are dealing with similar problems.  The story would be appropriate for a middle-grade readers in grades four and above.  Adult readers that gravitate toward middle-grade stories will definitely enjoy Jane's journey.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment