Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, July 6, 2019

Other Words for Home by Jasmine Warga

How I Heard About It:  Being this is one of the most "buzzed" about novels of the summer, I of course had it on my radar to read during my vacation.  I was thrilled when I received a copy from Balzer & Bray Publisher.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *This is the story of Jude who has grown up in Syria, but this is about to change.  

2.  *She and her mother, who is pregnant, must leave their home when events near them begin to get violent.  They leave behind Jude's older brother and father.  

3.  *After arriving in Cincinnati, to live with relatives, Jude and her mother must adjust to living in a very large country with a very large way of living.  

4.  Jude isn't sure which is more difficult, trying to fit in at school or the new home she is living in. 

5.  She has always had dreams of being a Hollywood star, so when she decides to try out for the school play, she is hoping she is on the path to achieving some of her goals.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *When I first started, I was surprised this story was told in verse instead of prose.  For some reason I wasn't expecting this.  But it certainly worked and worked well.

2.  *I enjoyed the short chapters and the story flowed easily from page to page.  I read the entire story in a sitting or two.  

3.  *Jude was a strong, independent, and determined young girl.  Even with a new situation that could have been very difficult, she did everything she could to make herself happy.  

4.  *As I was reading, I enjoyed the chapters about Jude's experience in her ESL class.  Normally refuge stories don't include that aspect of adjustment.  

5.  *The plot had a perfect combination of Jude's native culture and adjusting to the new American ways.  I found it realistic and authentic.  


Who Should Read It:    Because of the format of the novel, I believe it would be geared toward a reader in grades three through six.  Readers in middle-school would also appreciate and enjoy the story of Jude.  I know many adult readers who have enjoyed the story so if you haven't read it yet, I recommend you do.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   4 STARS out of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment