Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, July 1, 2019

The Remarkable Inventions of Walter Mortison by Quinn Sosna-Spear

How I Heard About It:  Isn't this a great cover!  When it came in the mail via the publisher, I was intrigued by both the cover and the title.  I had read no reviews about the story so I didn't have any preconceived notions about what I was heading into.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Walter Mortinson is a young boy that doesn't fit in with the "normalcy" of his very boring town called Moormouth.  

2.  *His mother is the town's mortician and she would like her son to follow in her footsteps.  


3.  *The only time Walter's mother was happy in life was when she was married to his father Max.  Max was an inventor just like Walter.  After his father's death, his mother went back to very very unhappy and living her boring life in Moormouth.  

4.  *Horace Flasterborn, another inventor, worked with Walter's father years ago and now plans on bringing Walter into his life and under his wing.  

5.  *After receiving his "invitation" from Horace, Walter and a somewhat "friend" flee town and head to a very special and magical island.  It is here they find out about Walter's past and Cordelia's future. 


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *Walter was a great main character and fun to read about.

2.  *I enjoyed experiencing his relationship with Cordelia, both the positive and negative.  

3.  *It was fun to learn about Walter's past along with his parents lives when they first meet.  Everything that happened in the past has an impact on his future.  

4.  *There were parts of the book that lost my attention and/or focus.  I'm not really sure why this is, but it could have been the fantasy elements.  

5.  *This isn't always my most favorite genre which could have been why I did some some skim and scan reading during different parts of the novel.  


Who Should Read It:    This novel would be perfect for that reader who gravitates toward the realistic fantasy type story.  There are both elements of realism and fantasy strewn throughout the pages of the book.  I think fourth, fifth, and sixth grade readers would be a spot-on audience for this piece of fiction.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   3 STARS out of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment