Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, July 20, 2019

The Tragical Tale of Birdie Bloom by Temre Beltz

How I Heard About It:  Harper Publisher sent me a copy of this middle-grade novel.  It sat in my TBR pile for a bit of time, but then a friend recommended it.  So I've spent the last couple days enjoying the story of Birdie and all her adventures.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Birdie is a young girl that is one of many "Tragicals" spending her days at Foulweather's Home for the Tragical.  

2.  *Across the Wanderly "winds" is a witch, an evil witch named Agnes Prunella Crunch.



3.  *Birdie and Agnes begin to write letters to each other with the help of the "winds" and special delivery "helpers".  

4.  *Birdie wishes more nothing more than a friend and a way out of her horrible environment.  

5.  *The last person she would think would help would be Agnes.  Even Agnes isn't sure she can be of help.  But they both surprise themselves and find the true meaning of friendship.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *After my friend told me to read the book, I was drawn to the cover and title.  I was ready for a "magical" reading experience.  

2.  *Even though stories of children being held in "orphanages" have been told, this particular adventure had a fresh and unique twist.  

3.  *The pages contained a variety of interesting, strong, and determined characters.  They brought the story to life.  

4.  *I enjoyed reading about the "transformation" of Agnes and all that she had to endure.  

5.  *Some of the fantasy/magical elements got a bit long for my own taste, but I know that young readers would eat those scenes up.  


Who Should Read It:    The novel is on the longer side at 350 pages so I'm thinking it would best be suited for a 5th/6th grade reader and/or a middle-school child.  Of course a strong third and/or fourth grade student could handle it I'm sure.  If you know a reader who enjoys magic, fantasy, and adventure, then this is the story for them.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   3 STARS out of 5 Stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment