Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, July 14, 2019

StepSister by Jennifer Donnelly

How I Heard About It:  This young adult novel came to via the publisher.  I first I put it away as I wasn't sure I wanted to read it.  After seeing several friends RAVE about the story, I pulled back off the shelf and started to read.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:  
1.  *Ella, Cinderella, has been locked away when the prince shows up to see if the slipper fits.  The stepsister, Isabelle, tries to fit into the shoe, but we know how that turns out.  

2.  *After Ella and the Prince leave for "happily ever after", Isabelle is left to fend for herself and make amends for her mistakes.  

3.  *A character, Chance, takes on the goal of changing Isabelle's "fate" which begins a series of events that may or may not change everyone involved.  

4.  *Both Isabelle and her sister Tavi have been shunned from the townspeople for the way they treated Ella.  

5.  *Isabelle's mission is to find the missing pieces of her heart and change from the "evil" being to something better and much more kind. 


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
1.  *I enjoyed the start-up of the story and revisiting the fairy tale of Cinderella.  

2.  *When the story introduced the "fates" and the character of Chance, I began to get a bit lost.  

3.  *I was hoping for more from the story because of all the positive reviews, but I just couldn't find my way into the plot.  It could be because I'm a 51 year old male.  

4.  *I do think because of so much high praise, this novel is definitely a winner for most young-adult readers along with adult readers.  

5.  *Toward the second half of the novel, I did find myself skimming and scanning.  There were some parts when I slowed down and read about Isabelle and her journey.  


Who Should Read It:    Just because this novel wasn't for me, I do think so many readers will LOVE it.  I know it is geared toward the young-adult reader, but I think adult readers would enjoy just as much.  The premise was awesome and unique.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:   3 STARS out of 5 Stars!




No comments:

Post a Comment