Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, November 6, 2021

Bewilderment by Richard Powers

How I Heard About It:
*I saw that Oprah had chosen this novel as her next book club selection..  It has been awhile since I have enjoyed, or even decided to read, one of her picks.  After hearing her describe the story and chat with the author, I decided to buy the book and read.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Theo has lost his wife, and is left raising his son Robin on his own.

*Robin has special needs and has experienced challenges at school.

*Theo takes Robin out of school for a bit to deal with the issues on his own.  

*One way to help Robin is to medicate him, but Theo isn't sure he wants to go that route.

*Theo and Robin embark on an experimental treatment in hopes of improving both of their lives.  



What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*The writing was quite different from what I normally read, and took me awhile to get use to.

*Once I found my rhythm, I began to take in the writing style of Powers.

*The main story I enjoyed, but found the scientific topics a bit confusing and not for me.

*As a teacher, I could relate to the issues that Robin experienced during school.  

*Because of the detail and confusing subject matter, I did find myself skimming from time to time.


Who Should Read It:
*I would believe readers who have read previous works by Richard Powers, would also enjoy his newest work of fiction.  People who enjoy science, space, technology, and life/death on our planet, would also be ideal for the novel.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   3 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment