Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, November 6, 2021

The Last Thing to Burn by Will Dean

How I Heard About It:
*This novel was chosen by a member of my BBC (Boy's Book Club).  This is a book club of male teachers in my building.  We have been reading since 2000.  I was not familiar with the title, but always excited to read something new.  I actually downloaded on Audible and found it one of the best and most engaging audio books I've ever listened to.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Jane, not her real name, has been living with Lenn for the last seven years.

*She is his wife, but NOT in the traditional sense.  

*She has been held "captive" since her arrival and must do everything Lenn tells her to do.

*When she realizes she is pregnant, Jane is isn't sure what that means for her future.

*After a women appears at their door, it changes the lives of everyone living in the small cottage out in the middle of nowhere.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*This was one of the most intense stories I've ever read.  I found myself gasping and a knot in my stomach on more than one occasion.  

*The story was heartbreaking, jaw dropping, and so so disturbing at times.  

*The author did a tremendous job of describing what human trafficking it all about.  

*I don't think I've ever read a story with such a "hateful" character.  

*This story will definitely lead to some great discussion during our next book club get together.


Who Should Read It:
*This novel will definitely strike a cord with all adult readers.  It is definitely a page-turner.  I would recommend listening, but I'm sure the hard copy would be just as strong.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   5 STARS out of 5 Stars










No comments:

Post a Comment