Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Cuba in my Pocket by Adrianna Cuevas

How I Heard About It:
*Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) sent me a copy of this recent release that entered the world on September 21, 2021.  I didn't have any previous knowledge about the story, but was intrigued by the cover and title.  I ended up listening to the story on Audible.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Life in Cuba during 1961 was not easy.  Especially for twelve year old Cumba.

*He wants to enjoy life in Cuba with his friends and family, but the leadership in the country is not going to allow that.  

*When life becomes extremely difficult for the people in Cuba, Cumba's family has to make a very difficult decision.  

*Cumba is sent to live in Florida without his family.  It is a challenge for both his family and Cumba himself.

*He must navigate a new world both inside and outside of school and isn't quite sure his family made the right decision.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I didn't know much about The Bay of Pigs in 1961 so I found that aspect of the story interesting.

*The story was broken into two parts; one being in Cuba and the second taking place in Florida.

*There were parts in both sections that I thought moved a bit slowly for my personal taste.

*The author did a tremendous job of describing what life was life for Cumba in his new environment.  

*Overall, I thought the plot was fine, but wondered if there would be appeal to young readers.


Who Should Read It:
*Being that the plot moves a bit slow, not a whole lot happens to Cumba, and the time frame will be unfamiliar to young readers, I think this book is geared toward readers in grades six, seven, and eight.  It is a strong historical fiction story, so if you know of a young reader who enjoys this genre, this would be the book for them.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   3 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment