Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, November 27, 2021

Omar Rising by Aisha Saeed

How I Heard About It:
*An early Christmas gift.  This upcoming middle-grade novel came to me from The Penguin Young Readers School & Library Team.  We normally meet during a cocktail party at NCTE.  That didn't happen this year because the conference was held virtually.  @PenguinClass and @PenguinClassroom sent me a complimentary copy of Aisha Saeed's newest work of fiction.  I absolutely LOVE anything and everything that comes from Nancy Paulsen.  This was a story I devoured during my Thanksgiving break.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*This is the companion novel to Amal Unbound.  It was so wonderful to revisit the characters I grew to love in the first story.

*Amal's friend Omar has just been accepted to the prestigious Ghalib school where only the best of the best are admitted.

*Upon his arrival, Omar learns there are a different set of standards for the kids who can "pay" and the kids who are admitted via scholarship.  

*Omar and his new friends are excited for classes, clubs, and sports.  They soon find out the only activity they are "allowed" to participate in are the academic classes.

*Being away from his home, family, and friends is challenging for Omar, but trying to fit in and be accepted in a bring new and different world might just be the most challenging thing he has ever faced.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*Just as with Amal Unbound, I was captivated, interested, and entertained throughout the entire reading of Omar Rising.  

*Omar was a character full of life, courage, and a drive like no one else.  

*I loved reading about student life at Ghalib Academy and could visualize everything Aisha described in her beautiful writing.

*The theme of social class was at the forefront of the plot and presented in such a way that any young reader will be able to grasp what is happening to Omar and his new friends.

*The struggle for Omar was real and I was in his corner from start to finish.


Who Should Read It:
*I can't wait to share the story with my fourth grade readers.  I think the novel could be used in any third, fourth, and/or fifth grade classroom.  The novel would be perfect for a class read aloud because it would lead to so many thoughtful class discussions.  The novel would also be ideal for the middle-school reader.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   5 STARS out of 5 Stars





No comments:

Post a Comment