Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, November 13, 2021

When Ghosts Come Home by Wiley Cash

How I Heard About It:
*I was in need a new audio book to listen to while I drove to and from work.  I had this title on my "TBR" list on GoodReads.  I had read his previous novel  A Land More Kind Than Home.   I had enjoyed that story and his writing style so I decided to give his newest novel a shot.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Winston and his wife are awakened in the middle of the night by the sound of a plane flying overhead.

*As sheriff, Winston ends up leaving his home that night to go investigate an "incident" at the local airport. 

*A body of a man is found next to an empty airplane that has been left abandoned at the airfield.

*It is an election year for a new sheriff, and Winston is going up against an "evil" man that just may or may not be involved in the strange happenings at the airport.

*When Winston's daughter makes a surprise visit, the past and present are about to collide.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*The narration was quite good and I found the entire story quite engaging and entertaining.

*I enjoy that the story was part mystery and part fictional character study.  

*The interactions between the characters living in the small town were thoughtful, complex, and intriguing.  

*The overall mystery was not what drove the story forward, but certainly kept me guessing until the end of the story.

*Themes of family, friendship, and making amends were scattered throughout the unfolding of the story.


Who Should Read It:

*In my opinion, any adult reader will find enjoyment and satisfaction with Wiley Cash's newest work of fiction.  Either the physical copy or the audio would be ideal.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars




No comments:

Post a Comment