Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, November 6, 2021

Tin Man by Sarah Winman

How I Heard About It:
*While scrolling through Instagram, I came across a post from Penguin Random House.  They listed "must-reads" that will ruin you emotionally.  Some of the titles I had already read, but this particular one I wasn't aware of.  I bought a copy and recently read the story of two friends.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Ellis and Michael met when they were young boys.  They began a friendship that led to a deeper level between the two.

*Years later, Annie enters the picture, and their friendship is changed forever.

*Annie and Ellis marry and Micheal disappears.

*After Ellis loses Annie, he is a lost man searching for a new existence and/or purpose.

*Michael misses his best friend, but isn't sure if he should reenter his life.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*Based on the post from Penguin Random House, I had high hopes for this novel.

*The start was slow and I was somewhat confused by what was going on in the story.

*The time frame went back and forth and it took me awhile to figure out the time line and what was truly going on in the story.  

*Once I got into the novel, there were sections of the story that I was engaged in.  

*There were several moments when I found the events emotional and sad that the characters had to endure what they did due to the time period in history.


Who Should Read It:
*As slow, and sometime confusing as the plot was, I do think there are many adult readers who will enjoy and find this novel a satisfying read.  It may not be a page turner, but is definitely a character study in three characters lives.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   3 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment