Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, November 23, 2021

What About Will by Ellen Hopkins

H
ow I Heard About It:
*This novel came to me via the publisher, G.P. Putnam's Sons (Penguin Random House), before its release in September 2021.  It sat in my TBR pile for quite some time.  I actually didn't get to reading it until after the book release.  I'm so glad I had the opportunity to read Ellen's newest work of fiction.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Trace is the younger brother to Will by five years.

*Trace has always looked up to Will and in return Will has treated him with kindness and respect.

*After a football injury, Will's life begins to head in a different direction and Trace isn't sure what to do about it.

*When Trace learns some secrets about Will's new life, he is conflicted on keeping the secret or reaching out to his dad with the truth.  

*As much as Will tries to shut everyone out, Trace is determined to help his brother and do it before it is too late.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*After reading Closer to Nowhere, I was excited to read her second middle-grade story.

*I was never a huge fan of novels in verse, but I'm beginning to enjoy more and more.  This story worked so well told in verse and I enjoyed every page.

*The themes of family, addiction, and struggle were presented in a very kid friendly manner.  

*As I read, I couldn't help but feel the pain from both brothers.  The writing was authentic and full of grace.

*I liked that Ellen didn't shy away from some tough subjects and didn't always portray everything with rose-colored glasses.  


Who Should Read It:
*The new novel from Ellen would be ideal for readers in grades five and above.  I think it would make for a wonderful class read aloud as it would lead to some deep and meaningful conversations.  If you are a fan of Ellen Hopkins, then you must put the new title on your TBR list.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment