Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, June 27, 2022

Different Kinds of Fruit by Kyle Lukoff

How I Heard About It:
*I downloaded an E-Galley of this novel quite awhile ago.  I so enjoyed Too Bright to See so I was excited to see what this story had in store for me.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Annabelle is about to begin her sixth grade year and expects it to be just like any other school year.  

*She is surprised to learn there is a new student in class named Bailey, who has just moved to the small town from Seattle.  

*Bailey is different from all the other kids Annabelle has met over the years which makes her quite happy and excited for the school year.  

*As Annabelle and Bailey get to know each other, Annabelle's parents share some shocking and important news.

*With this news comes some difficulties within her family, friend, and school group.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I'm glad I read this story.  I will say I enjoyed Too Bright to See a little more, but still thought this one was a strong and enjoyable story.

*Annabelle was an interesting character to read about and get to know.  Bailey was a breath of fresh air and brought such life and energy to the story.

*There were several important and timely "issues" and topics presented and I think Kyle did a great job of covering them.

*I know this will be an important and necessary story for many young readers because I don't believe this type of story has been told yet.

*As I read, many questions and thoughts crossed my mind which to me is always a sign of a great story.


Who Should Read It:
*Being that Annabelle and Bailey are sixth grade students, I would recommend the novel for readers in grades five and above.  Because of the content, subject matter, and language; I would also think the story would be best for upper elementary readers and/or middle-school students.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars!   



No comments:

Post a Comment