Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, June 5, 2022

Ripped Away by Shirley Reva Vernick

How I Heard About It:
*This book came to me via the publisher, Regal House Publishing.  The story was published on February 2, 2022.  It only took me an afternoon to read as the novel is only 132 pages.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Abe sticks to himself, walks the tract, and comes up with new story ideas.

*Mitzy is in his class, but doesn't give him the time of day.



*After wandering into a "fortune" telling shop, Abe asks for a "wish" and finds himself being transported back to Victoria, London.

*Much to his surprise, he discovers Mitzy in the same time period after she requests a wish of her own.

*The two of them are thrown into new and strange worlds where Jack the Ripper roams the streets of London.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*This little novel was an enjoyable read.

*I thought the writing style and point of view was unique and interesting.

*I'm not a huge time traveler reader so parts of the story in London lost my interest.

*The dynamics between Abe and Mitzy, and their new personalities in London, were interesting to read about.

*Overall, I thought the plot was alright, but wasn't sure who the target audience would be.


Who Should Read It:
*I'm not sure whether to mark this book as a middle-grade story or a young-adult story.  According to online sources, it it geared toward children in grades six through nine.  If you know of readers in middle-school that enjoy historical fiction, this just might be the book for them.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   3 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment