Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, June 5, 2022

Zia Erases the World by Bree Barton

How I Heard About It:
*I was in the market for a new audio book.  As I was browsing through Audible I came across this title.  I read the summary and some reviews.  I decided to download the title and listen to the story of Zia.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Zia carries around the "Shadoom", but doesn't tell anyone about it.

*She doesn't quite know or understand this "feeling" but it is with her at all times.



*When her grandmother moves in with them, Zia discovers a new type of book that appears to be a "dictionary".


*Zia realizes she can erase words from the dictionary which in turn erases that word from real life.

*At first she thinks this is an amazing magical power, but after awhile Zia learns of the power both the book and she have.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*Great audio.  Very engaging!

*I'm not normally a fan of magical realism, but I did enjoy Zia's journey.

*I loved the way the author presented the "Shadoom" and slowly revealed what was actually going on within Zia.

*Reading about the "word erasing" was enjoyable, fun, and also showed the power that words have.

*Bree Barton did a wonderful job sharing what so many young people are dealing with and how it affects their life.  


Who Should Read It:
*Perfect book for readers in the upper elementary grades along with middle-school students.  The plot may appeal to female readers over the male, but certainly not limited to only girls.  I think the story could make a fun, yet meaningful class read aloud.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment