Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, June 5, 2022

The Great and Mighty Benjamin Teller by Tracy Edward Wymer

H
ow I Heard About It:
*I can't remember exactly where I came across this title.  I saw it either on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.  I'm thinking it was Twitter.  I was drawn to the book just based on the cover and title.  I ordered myself a copy and got busy reading when the book arrived at my door.  


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Benjamin is a great kid and lives life to the fullest.

*He was born with an eye condition that becomes worse with age.

*During a visit to his eye doctor, he learns the condition has gotten worse and his eyesight could be gone by summer's end.

*He and his best friend decide what Benjamin needs most, is to see everything he can before he can't.

*Benjamin sets out on a road trip with his family to check-off as many sites as he can and store them in his memory.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*It can be risky to take on a new story based only on a cover and title.  Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't.  This time it did.

*I so enjoyed the character of Benjamin and his journey.

*There were many sentimental and emotional scenes throughout the story.

*As a reader, I could really feel his pain, fear, and uncertainty of what was to come.

*The story really gave me pause about what it would be like to lose your eyesight.


Who Should Read It:
*Students in grades four through six would enjoy the novel.  I also think readers in middle-school could find elements in the story they could relate to.  The book would be great for individual readers and/or for a class read aloud.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment