Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, June 12, 2022

The Year Without a Summer by Arlene Mark

How I Heard About It:
*The kind people from SparkPress (BookSparks), sent me an advanced copy of this upcoming young-adult novel.  I was excited to read because I haven't read too many young-adult stories lately.  Perfect book to kick off summer 2022.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*Clara, an eighth grader, has recently relocated from Puerto Rico after a hurricane.

*Jamie, also an eighth grader, is a local boy who lives for snowboarding.

*During a class research project, each of these young people take on opposite view points on a particular weather topic.

*While one is in favor of a weather "shift", another is quite adamant that the other, and everyone else, should think quite differently.  

*While debating the issue, Clara and Jamie, come to know each other, both on school and personal sides.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*As I mentioned, I was excited to read a young-adult story as it had been quite some time since I did.

*Jamie and Clara's story was entertaining, engaging, and thoughtful.

*I enjoyed how the plot began with a focus on a school issue, but expanded to more personal and family issues.  

*As must as the story was a pleasurable read, I also learned quite a bit about our planet, weather, and the effects it has on our Earth.  

*There was not only an emphasis on personal empathy, but also on being thoughtful and conscious of the interactions between humans and their environment.


Who Should Read It:
*This would be the perfect story for students in both middle-school and high-school.  Happy Reading!


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment