Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Gabe in the After by Shannon Doleski

How I Heard About It:
*After watching Colby Sharp discuss this title via online platforms, I decided to download it on Audible and listen while I drove around during my summer vacation.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:

*Gabe, along with his dog Mud, have survived a global pandemic.

*The duel, have relocated from the mainland of Maine to an island off the coast.  

*A community of about twenty, have established a new way of living, and not just surviving.

*While out "searching" Gabe comes across a young girl named Relle.

*He brings her back to his island, and life for everyone will change.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*The narration was wonderful and had me spellbound on several occasions.

*It was quite interesting to listen to a story about a post pandemic world.  Real life vs. fiction can sometimes become very close and blurred.

*Gabe was an incredible character to get to know and root for his entire journey.

*I also enjoyed Relle and she brought such life and joy to the overall story.

*I can see young readers being captivated by Gabe, Relle, and everyone who surrounded them.  


Who Should Read It:
*The novel would be appropriate for readers in grades four and above.  I think it would make for a strong and tremendous class read aloud.  Of course, individual readers should also be given the novel so they can enjoy on their own.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars!  



No comments:

Post a Comment