Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Sunday, July 10, 2022

The Last Mapmaker by Christina Soontornvat

How I Heard About It:
*I was looking for an audio book so I consulted by TBR list.  When I saw this title, I looked on Audible to see if it was available.  It was, I downloaded, and began to listen.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Sai presents as someone she truly isn't, which is the daughter of a con-man.

*She is twelve years old with an extraordinary talent in drawing.


*She is hiding her true identity by being the apprentice to the famous map-maker Paiyoon.

*When he invites her to join an expedition in the southern seas, Sai can't pass up the opportunity.

*Once aboard, she finds herself heading toward a "land" she has only heard of, which brings danger, secrets being exposed, and staying true to yourself.


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*I'm not sure if it is because I listened to the audio version rather than reading the actual book, but I found the story hard to follow.

*I sometimes get confused and/or lose interest in stories that deal with "fantasy" type worlds.  I'm more of a realistic fiction reader.

*I do know the writing was descriptive, detailed, and beautiful.

*There were times when the story dragged a bit for my own reading taste.

*I loved the message of female power and fighting for what you know is right.


Who Should Read It:
*In my opinion, this story is meant for the upper elementary and/or middle-school student.  The book is a bit longer, the subject matter is more intricate, and I think will appeal to a specific reader.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
   3 STARS out of 5 Stars! 








No comments:

Post a Comment