Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Thursday, July 28, 2022

In Honor of Broken Things by Paul Acampora

How I Heard About It:
*A few months ago, I downloaded an E-Galley of this middle-grade novel.  I started, but then got distracted with other books.  When I saw the title on Audible, I decided to download it and listen.


What It Is About - FIVE Things You Need to Know:
*Oscar, an eighth grader, is grieving the loss of his sister while trying to gear up for another football season.

*Noah, an eighth grader, is transitioning from home school to attending public school.  

*Riley, another eighth grader, is also new to the middle school, as her mother has relocated the two of them.

*These three middle-school students meet during their art class.

*Each has a story to share, a past to repair, and looking toward a better and brighter future.  


What I Thought Of It - Five Observations/Reflections:
*My last few audible "listens" have been ok.  This story was engaging, thoughtful, and enjoyable.

*I enjoyed "reading" about these three very different children and the developing friendships they formed.

*There was so much heart in the story which lead to a variety of feelings while I was listening.  

*I loved that their relationships deepened while in a middle-school art class.  So many similarities between life and art.

*Because of the strong characters, meaningful plot, and realistic resolutions; I can see this being used as a class read aloud which would lead to some wonderful discussions.


Who Should Read It:
*The book should be placed in any and all classrooms between grades four and six.  Because the characters are in grade eight, this is the perfect story for middle-school readers.  As I mentioned, I think the novel would be terrific as a read aloud, but also just as strong to put in the hands of individual readers.  Happy Reading!  


Rating:
   4 STARS out of 5 Stars! 

No comments:

Post a Comment