Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Three-Ring Rascals: The Show Must Go On! by Kate and Sarah Klise...

How I Heard About It:  One of the best things about browsing for books is stumbling upon new titles that you aren't familiar with.  The other day while shopping for books, I saw this book and the sequel on the shelf.  The covers and titles grabbed my attention and I thought I would give them a try.  I'm glad I did.  

What It Is About:  Sir Sidney runs the best circus around.  He is kind to the animals.  He is wonderful to the customers.  He is one of a kind.  But one day he becomes too tired to travel with the circus and hires someone to run it in his place while he rests at home.  Barnabas Brambles is hired to take over the show. At first he seems like the perfect choice to continue the tradition of this traveling circus, but soon the animals realize he is the extreme opposite of Sir Sidney.  Together, Leo the Lion, Elsa the Elephant, Bert and Gert the Mice, and the rest of the performers bond together to make sure the show goes on as it always has.  

What I Thought Of It:  This book (and the sequel) was a pleasant surprise.  You always take a bit of a risk when you purchase a book just based on the cover and title, but in this case it paid off.  I enjoyed the format of the book with the text and the illustrations on each and every page.  There were also different type graphics throughout the book that added to the story.  The characters in the story are fun to read about and follow as they make their way through the adventures of the circus.  I'm excited to add this series to my classroom collection.  

Who Should Read It:  In my opinion, this makes a perfect book for a third or fourth grade classroom.  The reading level would make for a solid read by an independent reader in these grades.  I also think it the book and/or series would be ideal for a quick read aloud in any classroom from grades two through five.  The plot is strong enough to hold the interest of all listeners and readers.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars 



No comments:

Post a Comment