Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

We Were Liars by E. Lockhart...

How I Heard About It:  I feel like most of the recent books I've read have come from Twitter suggestions.  That is just one of the great reasons to be on Twitter.  I waited a long time for this book to be released and boy it did not disappoint.  

What It Is About:  The Sinclair family is powerful.  The Sinclair family is rich.  The Sinclair family has secrets and issues.  But what family doesn't.  Every summer they gather on their private island where three homes sit.  One home for each daughter and her family.  Cadence has spent her life going to this family retreat every summer.  She and her cousins have many memories of life at the "compound."  Some of these are good and some of them are bad.  The summer of Cadence's 15th year, life for the Sinclair family will change forever.  Cadence  has an accident and has no memory of the events that took place on this island.  During the next two years/summers, she and her cousins try to reconstruct the events in order to help Cadence remember and move on from this tragedy.  What Cadence finds out will shock both her, her family, and of course the reader.

What I Thought Of It:  I loved this book.  I read it during two sittings.  The writing style is quite different from most books.  The plot builds slowly and reaches the climax just when the reader can't take it anymore.  The twist/surprise caught me completely off guard and now I almost want to go back and reread the book to see if there are clues left along the way.  The characters were all strong in their own way and added greatly to the overall story line.  I have already recommended this book via Facebook and Twitter.  

Who Should Read It:  Everyone should read this book.  Amazon states that the level is for readers between age twelve and seventeen.  After reading it myself, I believe it is best suited for high school readers and adults.  Even though this novel was geared toward young adults, it read like an adult book to me.  This will definitely be a novel that I will be talking about and telling other readers about.  It has been a day or so since I finished and the characters are still in my mind and heart.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars 






No comments:

Post a Comment