Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Friday, January 1, 2016

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard...

How I Heard About It:  A reader would have to be living under a rock as they say to not have known about this novel.  I have seen it on many "best of" lists for 2015.  I have seen it on the shelves in many book stores.  I have been at a Donalyn Miller workshop where the title came up in discussion.  When I came across the title on the app "3M Cloud Library", I knew it was time to spend some time with this much talked novel.    

What It Is About:  Mare Barrow is seventeen years old and has lived in life in the "red" world.  She has a magical power, but during her years in this red-blooded realm, isn't quite aware of their true power.  Mare has gotten use to society being divided into two social groups:  The "red" people versus the "silver" people.  The Reds are the common folk who serve the elite Silvers.  The Silvers hold supernatural abilities.  Mare has spent her life being a thief and pick pocket in her small village.  Life is about to change when she ends up in front of the Silver Court.  When her own "power" is unveiled, the royal family decide they must hide her as one of their own.  She pretends to be a Silver princess that has been chosen to marry one of the princes.  As she pretends to be a Silver she is conflicted about her feelings between the two royal brothers.  She isn't sure which one she can truly trust.  With her former friends leading the Scarlet Guard, the Red rebellion, Mare decides she must help them no matter the cost.  With the help of some "silvers" and some "reds", Mare embarks on a quest and adventure that ends with deathly consequences.

What I Thought Of It:  During my Christmas holiday break I had the time to read many books and this had to be one of my favorites.  This type of story is my "usual" read, but I found myself enjoying every aspect of the story.  The concept of two societies each possessing different "blood" was fascinating and intriguing.  There were times when it felt like the story was taking place back in royal times and at other times it was a bit futuristic.  The characters in the story were what made this a great read.  The "good" guys were really good and the "bad" guys were really bad.  The combination of these two sides made for an excellent read.  I'm looking forward to the second novel in the series because book number one ended with quite the cliff hanger.

Who Should Read It:  I'm sure many people reading this post have already read this book.  I think I'm a little late to the "party."  If you have not read it, then you need to put it on your 2016 reading list.  This is the perfect story for the young-adult reader up to the adult reader.  It has all the elements that make it a great read.  Be sure to get it read before February 9th when the second book will be released. It is called Glass Sword.  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars






No comments:

Post a Comment