Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, January 30, 2016

The Life We Bury by Allen Eskens...

How I Heard About It:  It was my turn to pick the next book for our BBC (Boy's Book Club).  Sometimes I have a book in mind and other times I'm starting from scratch.  That is what happened with this pick.  After some research online and the book store, I came across this title.  I knew nothing of it, but the cover, the title, and the reviews caught my attention.  I'm glad I picked it for our book club because it was extremely good.  

What It Is About:  Joe is a college student at the University of Minnesota.  He was thrilled to get out of Austin, Minnesota and away from his dysfunctional mother and her "loser" boyfriends.  What he wasn't happy about leaving was his younger brother who has Autism.  As part of an assignment at school, Joe goes to a nursing home to interview a man to write his autobiography.  This man has just been released from prison after spending thirty years there for murdering the neighbor girl. He has always maintained his innocence.  Joe wants to get his "true" life story and the elderly man wants to finally share the truth before he dies from cancer.  As Joe gets to know him, he begins to uncover the past through the stories the man tells him about his experience in Vietnam.  With the help of another college student, Joe begins to dig into the case that sent this man to prison.  Joe has to juggle his school work, his family life, and now trying to clear a man's name before he leaves this Earth.  

What I Thought Of It:  I loved this book.  I could not put it down.  I could not read fast enough.  The plot was unique and special.  The character was Joe was one of a kind and one that all readers could relate to.  There were so many elements of this book that I enjoyed.  The writing was excellent.  The different characters throughout the story were larger than life.  The story was about people, their relationships, and doing the right thing.  There was also a fascinating mystery that kept me guessing right up until the end of the book.  I know the other members of my book club enjoyed this story as much as I did.  The beginning of the book was stellar, the middle of the book was great, and the ending was good; just not as wonderful as the first 2/3 of the story.  

Who Should Read It:  This is the type of book that I can recommend to any reader.  It would appeal to female readers.  It would appeal to male readers.  I can't wait to share this book with all of my reader friends.  This is a bit of fictional literature and a bit of mystery.  You will not be disappointed in this incredible adult novel.  Happy Reading1  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment