Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Take Me With You by Catherine Ryan Hyde...

How I Heard About It:  I can't remember why, but I put this novel on my GoodReads "to read" list.  It sat there for quite some time.  During one of my visits to the local library, I came across the audio book.  I decided to check it out  and give it a try.  

What It Is About:  August is a recovering alcoholic, a high school science teacher, divorced, and a father that lost his nineteen year old son.  He is about to head out to Yellowstone National Park when his trailer breaks down.  August meets a mechanic with two young sons.  The mechanic fixes and truck and after a series of "strange" encounters, August ends up taking the boys with him on his journey to Yellowstone.  The three of them spend the summer together in the RV, in different spots in the United States, and in Yellowstone.  During this summer adventure, they get to know each other and become close.  August learns about their life with their father, and the boys learn about August and his family.  At the end of the summer, August has to return the boys to their father now that he is "free."  August goes on with his life, and the boys try to go on with their lives with a father that isn't always present for them.  Years later the three of them connect again and the boys have a life changing surprise for August.  

What I Thought Of It:  This is a hard book to review.  This was the first audio book where I didn't enjoy the narrator.  The voices he used for August and the two boys was somewhat annoying.  One of the brothers was suppose to be twelve years old when August met him, but he sounded more like a five or six year old.  I found myself getting frustrated every time the two of them would talk to each other.  I kept trying to just focus on the story itself and not get hung up on the narration.  That is kind of hard to do when you are listening to an audio book.  The plot itself was alright and an enjoyable story.  I didn't find myself emotionally connected to the story or the characters.  There must have been something I liked because I listened to all twelve CD's.  I kept looking at reviews online and so many people gave this book 4 or 5 stars.  I just didn't see it.  

Who Should Read It:  Readers that have read other novels by this author will probably enjoy this story.  In my opinion, it is a basic adult fiction story with nothing extremely special about it.  I would recommend reading the book instead of listening to the audio.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  3 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment