Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Nevermoor - The Trails of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend

How I Heard About It:  This book had been in my pile for quite some time.  I can't remember why I purchased it, but must have heard about it from someone I trusted as far as book recommendations go.  It was a long story.   I guess there will be a second book coming out in the fall of 2018.  

What It Is About:   Morrigan Crow was born on "Eventide", which is the least favorable day to be born.  Because of this birthdate, she carries a "curse" that brings bad luck to everyone around her.  Worse is that she is destined to die on her eleventh birthday.  As Morrigan sits down for her final birthday dinner, a mysterious man appears and whisks her way.  He takes her to new and strange land called Nevermoor.  The man's name is Jupiter and he has chosen Morrigan to participate/compete in "four trails" that will decide if she can be a member of the mysteries and magical world of the Wundrous Society.  There are hundreds of other children that are contestants in the four trails.  The final trail is where each child demonstrates their special "trait/talent".  Morrigan is nervous because she isn't sure what her talent is, but Jupiter assures her that she will fine and shine in that final trial.  Morrigan isn't so sure...

What I Thought Of It:  This was a long read, but very good.  It did remind me a bit of Harry Potter, but not as dark.  I enjoyed the magic, mystery, and suspense.  There were so many incredible moments where I was in awe of what the author created in the story.  Morrigan was an awesome character and I enjoyed following her on this fantastic journey.  I look forward to reading the second book when it arrives in October.  

Who Should Read It:  I'm thinking this novel would best be suited for readers in fifth grade and above.  It is 481 pages long.  The plot is a bit complex and I think more mature readers would be able to follow better.  Of course younger strong readers would be able to handle it.  Readers of fantasy, magic, and the "unheard" of; are perfect for this story.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  4 STARS out of 5 Stars









No comments:

Post a Comment