Fourth Grade Journey

A Fourth Grade Teacher's Journey Through the World of Books

Monday, June 25, 2018

Saving Winslow by Sharon Creech

How I Heard About It:  Sharon Creech is one of my favorite middle-grade authors.  I have read ALL of her novels.  I even had the honor of meeting her at the NCTE convention.  Her newest novel, out September 11th, came to me via my #bookexpedition Twitter group.  

What It Is About:   Louie "inherits" a mini-donkey from his Uncle Pete.  Everyone in Louie's family doesn't think the donkey has much time left, but Louie thinks differently.  He takes it upon himself to care for this little creature and make sure he lives.  Louie names the donkey Winslow and the two of them begin a beautiful relationship.  Winslow fills a hole in Louie's life because his older brother Gus is away at "war".  Day in and day out, Louie does everything in his power to make sure his new donkey friend grows, thrives, and survives.  He has some friends that are in his corner and a few that think he is crazy to get attached to a living creature that will most likely disappoint him and "leave".  

What I Thought Of It:  I believe that every novel of Sharon's just gets better and better.  I loved the format of this story.  The chapters were short, the writing was beautiful, and the characters came to life on each and every page.  Anytime you take a young boy, add a struggling animal, and create a relationship where they depend on each other; you have a sure-fire winner of a novel.  As I read, it was fascinating that the writing was succinct, sparse, and wise; yet told one of the most deep and introspective middle-grades stories I've read in quite some time.  The supporting cast of characters were thoughtful and necessary to Louie and Winslow's tale.  Really everything about the novel was top-notch and A+ material.  But what else would you expect from an author like Sharon Creech.  

Who Should Read It:   I love it when authors put books into the world that are attainable for all middle-grade readers.  This novel is perfect for readers in grades two through six.  The story would be awesome as a class read aloud, used as a book club selection, or put in the hands of an individual reader.  I know I will definitely be "book talking" this novel in the fall with my new group of fourth grade students.  Happy Reading!  

Rating:  5 STARS out of 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment